Thursday, February 23, 2012

KILLER BBQ SAUCE!

Rocky Mountain Barbecue SauceNot too hot nor too sweet, we think this sauce is perfect! Although the recipe is easy, it is a bit messy so I make it in big batches. You can certainly cut the recipe in half the first time around if you wish.

3 sticks butter
54 ounces ketchup
¾ cup molasses (may substitute brown sugar)
2 cups water
¼ cup Liquid Smoke
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup raisins

Combine all ingredients except raisins in a pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove two cups of sauce and add to raisins in a blender. ( I use an immersion wand blender but a regular blender would work as well) Blend raisins and sauce until thick and smooth. You should only see specks of raisins the size of pepper flakes. Stir blended mixture back into the remaining sauce and cook for 10 minutes.

You can store the sauce in the refrigerator in quart bottles or better yet, we re-use the empty ketchup bottles. Because of the butter, it is best served warm on everything from chicken and ribs to omelets and home fries.




I don’t have a mind like a steel trap when it comes to remembering trivia. In fact, I rely solely on two subjects when it comes to adding my two cents to any trivia contest. One is the African mole rat. I first saw these nasty rodents on display at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. They live their entire lives hairless and blind and their skin is almost transparent. They also eat their own feces at least 3 times to absorb every bit of nutrient. YUCK!

My second useless morsel of trivia I have remembered since my childhood is the ingredients in A-1 steak sauce. I think this popular condiment is the only way I was able to eat meat loaf growing up. Did you know A-1 has orange peel and raisins as ingredients? Raisins surprised me but they are sweet and earthy and so when I developed this barbecue sauce, borrowing from a recipe here and another there, I decided to try adding pureed raisins. Not only do I love the fuller taste but it thickens the sauce to a richer consistency. Another unusual ingredient in my sauce is butter but there again, most other sauces that are favorites of mine like hollandaise and béarnaise have butter and I always finish my gravy with a little butter- so here you go!

P.S. I still remain a skeptic when it comes to meat loaf. However, they sell a freshly made meat loaf at Tacoma Boys meat & produce market that is completely encased with braided thick cut bacon that isn’t half bad. Bacon does wonders for the lowly water chestnut so why not meat loaf?

No comments:

Post a Comment